We are often asked about the meaning of our name, Leadenhall. Leadenhall Street and Leadenhall Market are in the financial centre of the city of London and it is from here our name was derived.
The history of Leadenhall dates back to the first century AD, when it was at the centre of the Roman city of Londinium. At that time there was a law court and market place on the site.
The present name, Leadenhall, refers to a manor with a large lead roof subsequently built on the site. The manor is first listed as belonging to Sir Hugh Neville in 1309. Neville allowed his tenants to use the grounds of the manor as a market place and by 1320 it had become an established poultry market and by the end of the century it was also known for its cheesemongers.
Lord Mayor of London, Richard (Dick) Whittington, later acquired Leadenhall and in 1411 gave the site to the city of London. Over the years the market flourished to provide a site for selling poultry, grain, eggs, butter, cheese, herbs, wool, leather and cutlery.
The famous London diarist, Samuel Pepys recorded in 1663 that he had bought a good leg of beef for sixpence there. Three years later the market survived the Great Fire of London, suffering only a small amount of damage. Rebuilding after the fire included providing a covered structure.
In 1881 a new building was designed by Sir Horace Jones. The building, which still remains on the site today, became the inspiration for our Leadenhall logo.
In 1982 a financial advisory firm named Leadenhall was founded in Australia. The name was chosen to reflect our reliability, our founder’s link to the UK, and our understanding of (financial) markets.
Now Leadenhall Market is also home to one of London’s newest skyscrapers – the Leadenhall Building or the Cheesegrater.